Since its summer break my (very picky) teenage little sister has spent the night with me a few nights recently. Finding something to cook for supper that both her and Mini Thor will eat is a serious task! They are both picky little monsters, I tell you what! For two nights in a row they requested my homemade chicken nuggets. I must be doing something right then, eh? It must be my secret ingredient (well it wont be secret now, oops) that sets these tasty nuggets apart from the rest! So what is this secret ingredient you say? Pickle Juice! Yes, I’m serious, 2 tablespoons of pickle juice for a jar of sweet pickles!
Here’s what you’ll need..
– 1lb chicken breast cut into nugget sized pieces
– 2 quart size zippy bags
– 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I use White Lilly since it is one of the few flour brands that doesn’t have barley in it (which Mini Thor is allergic to))
– 1 tsp each salt and pepper
– two dashes each garlic power and chipotle chili powder
– 1 1/2 cups milk
– 1 egg
– 2 tbsp sweet pickle juice
– and a couple dashes of pepper for the milk/egg mixture
– Oil for frying
In one zippy bag combine the egg, milk, pickle juice, and a couple dashes of pepper. Mix it mix it and Shake shake shake it up and then add the chicken. Let that sit for now.
Mix the flour and seasonings in the other zippy bag.
Heat oil in a skillet to medium heat. I use my handy dandy cast iron skillet!
Add a couple pieces of chicken to the flour bag and…shake it like a Polaroid pict-cha! (Sorry could resist that!).
Use a fork (or whatever utensil you prefer, I suppose) to get the pieces of chicken out of the flour and drop them into the heated oil.
Fry until browned and chicken is fully cooked.
Repeat until you’ve cooked all your nuggets.
Ta-da yummy yummy chicken nuggets!
Serve them with some veggies and you’ve got a southern style meal hun!